May 3, 2009

Is Mother's Day a Hallmark Holiday?

The Quest for the Perfect Blog

According to Wikipedia, "The modern Mother's Day holiday was created by Anna Jarvis as a day for each family to honor its mother and it's now celebrated on various days in many places around the world.This holiday is relatively modern, being created at the start of the 20th century,"
"In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association..."She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother,
not a plural possessive"commemorating all mothers in the world"
For some reason I always felt that Mother's Day was an invented Hallmark Holiday. Everytime there's another holiday my husband always remarks that it must be a marketing ploy created by Hallmark Cards, They must have needed another reason to sell cards!
I'm glad to see it is a real and deserving holiday. I always appreciate a reason to spend time with our family. It makes us slow down and appeciate each other. We usually spend the day with my parents. Most of the time is centered around eating and socializing.
I came upon a blog called, Briefcase Diva. It is written by Kelli Cllaypool and explores the joys of being a mom. Kelli has three children and can't imagine life without her children. ( I can relate to this completely!)
"The last 21-years have gone by so fast since I brought home my first babygirl.... I’m not supermom and I’ve certainly made mistakes along the way, however I’ve enjoyed every trial and error along the way. Plus, all three of my kids have turned out to be pretty good, so I’ve must have done something right."

She contiunes to discuss fun things to do with your children.
Every Mother’s Day, have a picture taken with your kids
Do something special with you and kids
Bake something together
Watch movies together

She ends with: "The best part of being is a mom are the hugs and the “I love you’s” for no particular reason other than just being Mom!"
Kelli, I totally agree,
Robin
http://www.grandmasshoppe.com/

Celebrate Mother's Day with Grandma's Shoppe

Pillbox $9.99

2 comments:

Kelli Claypool said...

Thank you, Robin, for mentioning my Joys of Being a Mom blog. If it weren't for my kids...I wouldn't be a mom! Mother's Day is a great day to have a family celebration. Like you said, socializing and eating with the family...creating wonderful memories.

Thank you again! You made this mama proud! :)

Kelli Claypool

Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for that exact model. The prices seeking the sneakers are all over 220 dollars on every site. But completely I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you say about it?